A 16 year old patient was seen at the Emergi-Care medical center with the complaints of pain in the ankle for one day after a fall. Patient was seen by Dr. Jain and x-ray of an ankle was ordered which was normal. The patient was given an ace bandage and also an anti-inflammatory medicine. The patient preferred to take natural anti-inflammatory so the patient was given tumeric tablets.
The patient responded well and her ankle swelling got better.
Turmeric can be taken in powder or pill form. It is available in pill form in most health food stores, usually in 250-500mg capsules
turmeric is long known for its anti-inflammatory properties, recent research has revealed that turmeric is a natural wonder, proving beneficial in the treatment of many different health conditions from cancer to Alzheimer’s disease. The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin. The medicinal properties of this spice have been slowly revealing themselves over the centuries.
The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin. Tumeric has been used for over 2500 years in India, where it was most likely first used as a dye.
Reasons to add turmeric to your diet:
1. It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, useful in disinfecting cuts and burns.
2. It is a potent natural anti-inflammatory that works as well as many anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side effects. Is a natural painkiller and cox-2 inhibitor. it is a natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. May help in the treatment of psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.Boosts the effects of chemo drug paclitaxel and reduces its side effects.
3. Anticancer properties:
– When combined with cauliflower, it has shown to prevent prostate cancer and
stop the growth of existing prostate cancer.
-Prevented breast cancer from spreading to the lungs in mice.
-May prevent melanoma and cause existing melanoma cells to commit suicide.
– Reduces the risk of childhood leukemia.
– May prevent metastases from occurring in many different forms of cancer.
-Promising studies are underway on the effects of turmeric on pancreatic cancer.
– Studies are ongoing in the positive effects of turmeric on multiple myeloma
– Has been shown to stop the growth of new blood vessels in tumors.
-Boosts the effects of chemo drug paclitaxel and reduces its side effects.
5. May aid in fat metabolism and help in weight management.
6. Has long been used in Chinese medicine as a treatment for depression.
7.Is a natural liver detoxifier.
8. Has shown promise in slowing the progression of multiple sclerosis in mice.
Turmeric can be taken in powder or pill form. It is available in pill form in most health food stores, usually in 250-500mg capsules.
Contraindications: Turmeric should not be used by people with gallstones or bile obstruction. Though turmeric is often used by pregnant women, it is important to consult with a doctor before doing so as turmeric can be a uterine stimulant.